New owner of a project.

Description of your first forum.
Salley

New owner of a project.

Post by Salley »

Hello fellow builders. I just purchased an unfinished Auriga Express S/N 019 and am in need of some items that seem to be missing from the kit.
Is there any one on here that may have extra parts? I am in need of aileron and flap hinges and control horns. I also don't have any flap parts. Im sure there are more parts missing that I am not aware of.

Also are there any builders in the DFW area that I may be able to source some guidance on by build?
282ex

Re: New owner of a project.

Post by 282ex »

Congrats on the purchase. I talked to the guy helping me who used to work for Composite Aircraft Tech, he said he's booked over the next couple of years but I gave him your contact info (I'm assuming you're the same guy I spoke to on Facebook). He was supposed to start with me in November but rona has put a cramp in things here in Washington state. He'll be starting with me Monday'ish. I'll let him know your looking for some parts, he may have a workaround or know.
Erik Petersen
Wheeler Express Series 90 Auriga
Sequim, Wa
Salley

Post by Salley »

Thank you Erik. If he could contact me about parts that are still available that would be great.
jchisolm

Post by jchisolm »

The wings should be pre-2000 model wings. You can make the control horns out of some AL sheet. I'm not sure of the thickness but I'll measure when I have time. The flap torque tubes can be fabricated. You can probably find a local welding shop or machine shop that can make them. The bearing holders are a little more difficult if you stick with the needle bearings but again a local machine shop could make them up. You need to measure the angle of the rear shear web on the wing from parallel with the spar center line. The flap torque tube runs parallel with the spar but the attachment is to the rear shear web so it's at an angle.

I have not closed up my flaps or ailerons so I can try and make a template of the ribs. If you look at a chord section of the wing (nlf-0215F) you will see there is a cusp in the trailing edge. There are articles that say the cusp does not really help and you are better off taking it out. If so, you flap bottom edge edge would not need the cusp. If I can find one of the articles I'll post here.
Joe Chisolm
Express CT builder
Marble Falls, Texas
Salley

Post by Salley »

Thank you for the info Joe. I am thinking I can make all of these parts also. The project came with an engine mount that I believe is for an IO-360. If I decide on the IO-540 do I need to hunt down a different mount? It is not easy to find parts for these planes any more. I sure could use the templates for the ribs in the ailerons and flaps. I would be happy to pay shipping for some paper with the outline on them.

Thank you,

Shane.
jchisolm

Post by jchisolm »

As far as I know you will need a different engine mount for a IO-540. I think the specs call for thrust line 1.5deg right and zero down. Maybe someone on here could point you to someone that might be able to make it.

I am tracing ribs and various parts I have to I will have templates in case I need to make one later down the line. I have not had time to trace out the parts for the flaps/ailerons but will be happy to share the templates when I get them done.
Joe Chisolm
Express CT builder
Marble Falls, Texas
282ex

Post by 282ex »

The guy that builds Vans mounts did my IO540 mount. I'll track his info down.
Erik Petersen
Wheeler Express Series 90 Auriga
Sequim, Wa
Guapo

Post by Guapo »

Good Morning!
I need a Blue Montain Avionics POD engine for my Express
Someone would have some for sale
Thank you very much
Guapo Jr
Tres Lagoas, Brazil
PT-ZUX Express CT Builder
jchisolm

Post by jchisolm »

Here are scans of the aileron and flap ribs. Print the pdf full scale. It will fit on a 8 1/2 by 11 sheet. I would glue the print to some card stock to make it easier to deal with. Flap rib 1 and aileron rib 3 are made with 1/4 in 40# foam. The rest are 1/4 in 4.5# foam. The 40# foam can be hard to find. I got some from Glasair. The factory ribs were made using a sheet of 2 layers bid/foam/2 layers bid and then (I think) water jet cut.
You can either make a sheet like that and cut the ribs or you could just cut the foam and follow the layups in the manual.
The 40# foam is used to handle the compressive forces when bolting the brackets to the ribs. If you cannot get the 40# foam you can make a cut out in the foam and fill it with a mill-fiber mix.
Attachments
flap5.pdf
(752.18 KiB) Downloaded 818 times
flap4_3_2.pdf
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 642 times
flap1.pdf
(946.86 KiB) Downloaded 667 times
aileron1_2_3.pdf
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 687 times
Joe Chisolm
Express CT builder
Marble Falls, Texas
Salley

Post by Salley »

Great information. Thank you for the files. I will start acquiring the materials for the build.