Removing wings

Description of your first forum.
jchisolm

Removing wings

Post by jchisolm »

Have any of you had to remove your wings after you did your fly off? I'm just wondering how difficult it was to get the pins out. What did you do about the wing root flaring? When you put them back on how did you repair/re-do the flaring?

What about paint cracking on the flaring? Is there enough flex in the wing to cause flexing of the flaring and paint cracking?

I'm not to the point where I'm ready to attach the wings - just thinking ahead of any problem issues.
Joe Chisolm
Express CT builder
Marble Falls, Texas
Finley

Re: Removing wings

Post by Finley »

I removed the wings to relocate my plane. I damaged 3 of the pins removing them. Most likely due to not enough help in the process.

The fairings were glassed to both wings and fuse, so I had to cut them down the middle. I then sanded and removed the remaining mess. My plane has not been painted yet.

I've purchased new fairings and I'm ready to install them now. I am waiting on a friend to help with this installation. He is a FG expert and expects we can glass the fairings to the wings and fasten them the the fuse. That will facilitate easier removal in the future. I hope to be flying soon. Text me and I'll send you a taxi video.

2seven0-eight3nine-seven66eight