Nose Gear Failed

Description of your first forum.
iain_clark

Nose Gear Failed

Post by iain_clark »

My nose gear failed on takeoff. During the takeoff roll I drifted a little to the left and corrected with right brake. I lifted the nose but failed to climb and was again veering left. When the nose gear touched down it was displaced 1 1/2 to 2 feet to the left of center so presumably it had already failed. It dug into the asphalt and folded under ripping up the engine mount. I just had the mechanic do a pull test on the nose wheel swivel and it was about 65 pounds at the axle. That seems way higher than reasonable. The mechanic said he usually sees about 15 pounds. Does anyone have that spec? I have to go get the swivel shaft pressed out which likely indicates a problem with the bushing. Part time in service was 650 hours and plane was 2 hours out of annual with no work done on nose gear. I suggest you check the condition and adjustment of your swivel bushings. Can anyone provide parts information for the swivel assembly. Looks like the gear leg is twisted. I'd appreciate any details that could be provided regarding the nose gear structure and motor mount as used with an IO-540.
jchisolm

Re: Nose Gear Failed

Post by jchisolm »

I found an old post from Jerry Sjostrand, that said in part,
"The torque on the castle nut should be enough so it requires about 25 to 30 lbs at the rear of the fairing to move the assembly side to side"
He also said he put a grease fitting in the spindle. There may be a picture in the documents that show this on the newer units.

I would suggest try contacting Darrell Peterson (who owned Composite Aircraft Tech before it was sold). He might be able to build you a engine mount and nose gear. The nose gear could be made by any competent welder. Maybe some one else here knows a place to get a engine mount made.
Joe Chisolm
Express CT builder
Marble Falls, Texas
iain_clark

Post by iain_clark »

Thanks Joe

Those numbers seem consistent with what we measured at the axle though my mechanic was surprised it was that high. The swivel is real stiff even without the nut in place and I had to whack it pretty hard to get it back off again. I found asymmetric wear on the friction washers at the top of the swivel suggesting maybe the swivel bolt was not perpendicular to the swivel friction surface which might explain binding in the bushing. I can't be sure if the swivel bolt was perpendicular pre-crash but it seems not to be now.

Yes, a grease nipple makes good sense.

PM'd Darrel.

Thanks!
kevin
Site Admin

Post by kevin »

If you haven't found a nose gear or any one to repair it I have 2 and the technical info so I can make you one.