New to the Express

Description of your first forum.
Spock.v22

New to the Express

Post by Spock.v22 »

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum and to express ownership, as I recently purchased N525SC a 2000FT built and previously owned by Doug Hoff.

N525SC is a 2000FT with a Conti IO-550 and 4 blade MT prop approximated 250 TT. It was built in 2000 and based on the log books and Doug’s recollection it has had main gear and nose gear replaced but no other upgrades. I did have a pre-buy inspection, conditional, and IFR cert done prior to the purchase and had the tail beacon ADS-B out installed as well as a USB charging port for my IPAD and STATUS-3. All avionics are original. Standard 6 pack with an unsupported GX-60, KX-155, KT-76C, and a STEC-60 AP. I would like to upgrade this as soon as a come up with a cool 30K.

Great design and performance. I really looked for a while at many different experimental aircraft and the Express is by far the best all-around aircraft for my mission design point. I am still learning the aircraft but am in need of some advice and info from the experts.

1. I have some really high CHT’s on the cylinders 2 and 4 which is preventing me from leaning below 20 gal/hr at 25/25. 2 is the highest at about 420 with 2 right behind that and the others are near level at 360-380. Oil temp is also high. I think I may have a baffle problem or am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do to verify a baffle issue before I start tearing off all the baffle material? I have read a few posts that talk about it on the “old forum” but no conclusions.

2. Performance wise at 25/25 which according to the Conti 550 manual would be 75% power I get only 160-165 KTAS pretty much at all altitudes. I was hoping for more speed (I assume we all do) and have read on the forum that similarly equipped 2000FT’s are getting 185 KTAS equipped with a 3 bladed prop. Is the 4 bladed MT an issue? I assume that having no wheel pants plays into this a bit, 5-10 kts?

3. On that note, I really need some wheel pants. It seems that Doug had some work done on the landing gear some years back and the pants went missing or got broken. I have tried to contact the factory several times via VM and email with no response. I read on the forum that it is still up and running but have had no luck getting a hold of them. I noticed that the website has not been updated for a while, but do they still support us owners?

4. I do not have a POH, I saw some links to manuals for the 2000 but none worked. Does anyone have one electronically I can get a hold of?

I do have many other questions but wanted to deep dive into the forum before asking any more if they are already answered in other posts.

Thank you all for your time.
JamesButler

Re: New to the Express

Post by JamesButler »

Hello and welcome to the Express world. I own N174JK and would be happy to share with you anything you may find useful. Please email me at jim@butlertoolanddesign.com

Jim
Finley

Post by Finley »

Yea Dude at express took forever to reply to me about parts. He did finally and when I bought them he shipped them pretty quick.
I asked him about alum. gear the other day and he replied the next...
Now you tell us he's missing again! Strange way to run a buisness.
Spock.v22

Post by Spock.v22 »

Thanks Jim! I will certainly email you.

Yea Finley, I will continue to call and email maybe my luck will change. I really wold like to see if the wheel pants will give me 5 kts.
Finley

Post by Finley »

I got 10 or 11 kts. on my RV-4 with pants and fairings. I wish I still had the 4...
Spock.v22

Post by Spock.v22 »

Finley,

That’s good info. 10-11 kts would be outstanding. By the way, Darell did finally email back. He has a set of new wheel pants. Pricey, but worth the 10 kts.