Composite Aircraft Technology strong and healthy!

Description of your first forum.
282ex

Composite Aircraft Technology strong and healthy!

Post by 282ex »

I emailed Darrell earlier in the week about the Nose Gear Support (also known as the Firewall Support). He mentioned he had some in stock and I could pay for shipping and handling or come get it. I opted to pick it up. When I got there he gave me a tour as a number of things have changed since having my Express hangared with them. He mentioned he may need to hire an additional composite person to help Marshall with the load and that they just had another boom month with parts. Darrell and I then went off to lunch at this little local restaurant, Country House, excellent burgers!

I've known Darrell since 2015 and never thought to ask what triggered his purchase of Express. I asked today. It turns out, Darrell was building an express when the previous owners were going out of business. Darrell bought up all the forms and assets he could get a hold of to keep Express alive, not to turn a huge profit but to keep the aircraft viable. I also got a tour of his hangar at home, he sold the RG a few years back, still has the FT and in the back of the hangar is another Express fuselage.

We also discussed the website and when they'd be at another airshow. No details to share just yet on the website, this is a known issue and is being addressed. As for airshow, Darrell may be planning to attend the Arlington Fly-in in August.

Something Darrell brought up was issues customers were having with the legacy nose gear collapsing. I will share more details in a separate topic.

Attached is a plane in for repairs from a customer (NOT MINE). Beautiful paint job!
Attachments
20190608_101311.jpg
20190608_101311.jpg (4.21 MiB) Viewed 14067 times
Erik Petersen
Wheeler Express Series 90 Auriga
Sequim, Wa
phil_thomas

Re: Composite Aircraft Technology strong and healthy!

Post by phil_thomas »

That's great to hear about them. I'd called Darrell earlier this year about my gear fairings and he shared where I could and could not drill into the wing for attaching them. Looks like nice work they're doing on that Express in the pic!
Phil Thomas
Nashville, TN