Upper gear fairing attachment

Description of your first forum.
phil_thomas

Upper gear fairing attachment

Post by phil_thomas »

Hey there,

I’ve got a Series 90 with aluminum gear and I’m curious to hear how others have attached their upper gear fairings? Mine has those fairings held up with springs attached to the inside of the wing and inside of the fairing and that’s not working well. I’m trying to see where else to fasten them but the front of the fairing is right under the spar and don’t think drilling into the spar cap is a good plan.

Thanks,
Phil Thomas
N822GK
Nashville, TN
Phil Thomas
Nashville, TN
kevin
Site Admin

Re: Upper gear fairing attachment

Post by kevin »

You can drill into the spar cap ahead of the fuel tank i.e the forward lip of the spar. That is where the tie down in installed. Its to dense there that you could likely tap it with a coarse thread tap, it would be 3/8 to 1/2" thick there. Where the gear is is inboard of the tank so as long as you are in the flange and drill for a #8 or #10 screw that should be fine. Keep it back at least 1/2" from the edge of the flange.

Another way since this is the area ahead of the gear would be to just install nut plates on the bottom of the wing just aft of the flange on both sides, should hold fine and the fairing deflection should be minimum.
jchisolm

Re: Upper gear fairing attachment

Post by jchisolm »

I would not go drilling into the spar cap, you will cut the UD fibers. For many of the flaring attachments I'm looking into using 3M VHB tapes.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/vhb-tapes-us/
Joe Chisolm
Express CT builder
Marble Falls, Texas