CT Electric flap

Description of your first forum.
pilotniner4

CT Electric flap

Post by pilotniner4 »

I have an early CT kit that has the parts for electric flap control. I also have paperwork that references SB080, but I do not have that service bulletin, or any other paperwork that explains how to install the electric flap system. Does anyone have this paperwork, or know where I could get it?
kevin
Site Admin

Re: CT Electric flap

Post by kevin »

What do you mean electric flap system? All of them have some type of linear actuator, early ones are a Volvo convertible top motor, some like me used an alternate system. Are you talking about the pot that tells you how far down the flaps are?
pilotniner4

Post by pilotniner4 »

The very first ct models had a manual flap system. Around 1991 the electric actuator was added. I'm looking for the install instructions for the actuator and parts. I don't think mine is the volvo motor that you described.
pilotniner4

Post by pilotniner4 »

Essentially I'm just looking for any install instructions with an electric flap motor for the CT models.
jchisolm

Post by jchisolm »

Do you have all the hardware? You should have inboard and outboard tubes for both sides and a center section tube with a arm for connection to the flap motor. I think you could also retrofit the 2000 model set up in a CT wing but I have not tried.

I got my flap parts from Larry Olsen. There are the tubes, bearing blocks and bearings and the center piece and flex packs that connect the inboard/outboard/center tubes. The outboard bearing blocks are a real close fit on the inboard side of the aft shear web but I think I can make it work.

If you dont have the hardware you can probably make something to work. I'd have to go look but I think the outboard tube slips over the inboard tube and the inboard tubes connect to the center tube. The flex packs go between the inboard and center tube. You could use a u-joint setup with a slip spline kind of like a tractor pto take off or a steering wheel spline u-joint. You just need a little flex and give in the connection. The motor connects to the aft side of the spar carry thru. The linear actuator motor connects to the arm on the center tube. That then rotates the flap torque tubes. The other arm out in the wing converts this to push/pull for the flap. When I have time I'll try and take some pictures. It's really not that complicated. Motor moves center section. Center section connects to tubes that go out to the wings. At the end is a small arm and another PP tube connects to the flap.

I have heard of some people modifying this so the flap push/pull tube is out in the center of the flap. Dont know if it's worth the trouble. There is another thread on here somewhere about the flap motor and torque needed to hold the flap in position.
Joe Chisolm
Express CT builder
Marble Falls, Texas
pilotniner4

Post by pilotniner4 »

Thanks for the reply. Yea I have all the hardware, I just don't have the plans. This is a second hand kit and it appears that some pages are missing, or something.
jchisolm

Post by jchisolm »

Here is a quick drawing from the manual
Attachments
flapdrawing.pdf
(91.46 KiB) Downloaded 1375 times
Joe Chisolm
Express CT builder
Marble Falls, Texas
jchisolm

Post by jchisolm »

Attachment upload does not seem to be working. I'll try and send you a message with the drawing. If that does not work send me a message with your email address and I'll send you the pdf. I scanned the section on the flaps. This is from the old manual that uses the teflon bearings but you can get the general idea of how it all fits together. That pdf is almost 10mb so if you want me to email it to you make sure your email account has room.
Joe Chisolm
Express CT builder
Marble Falls, Texas