so many nose gear leg collapses!

Description of your first forum.
skypuppy

so many nose gear leg collapses!

Post by skypuppy »

It's probably old new to you guys but it's new news to me. One bird I looked at even had two nose gear collapses over it's life!!! Which legs should we get or change to? Has a certain leg proven itself over time?
Thanks.
Express1587b

Re: so many nose gear leg collapses!

Post by Express1587b »

Mine has the updated gear from composite aircraft tech. The have a solid tapered shaft in them. simple and very strong.
282ex

Post by 282ex »

there's a new nose gear assembly available that is strengthened. I picked one up a couple years ago. http://compairtechllc.com/Nose_Gear.asp
Erik Petersen
Wheeler Express Series 90 Auriga
Sequim, Wa
n49ex

Post by n49ex »

The nose gear strut that the original Wheeler company made when Ken was still there had serious strength problems. They were painted gray. When Larry Olson ran the company, he re-designed it with a much thicker tube and the vertical sheer plate at the bottom end, and they are black powder coat. I have one of those, and as far as I know, it does not have any strength problems. I for one have put a few hard landings on it, and one time training another Wheeler owner preparing for his first flight, manged to drop the plane on the runway from a good six feet up - a very scary experience - and it survived that as well.

So, my guess is that most of the failures are with the original Wheeler version.

Reinhard Metzslk.kern@gmx.de
n49ex

Post by n49ex »

My previous post - my computer did a strange thing appending an irrelevant email address to my name. Please disregard.
Reinhard