Registration and bill of sale

Description of your first forum.
jchisolm

Registration and bill of sale

Post by jchisolm »

Anyone have any insight on this bill of sale issue and defunct kit makers. This rule change came about after the original Wheeler went out of business. I remember some time ago it came up at a FAA forum at Sun-N-Fun but I do not remember the details.

On the FAA site it says, in part, about EAB registration

If more than 50% of your amateur-built aircraft was built from a kit (prefabricated parts), you must also include a kit bill of sale from the kit manufacturer. A regular Aircraft Bill of Sale, AC Form 8050-2 (PDF) is acceptable if the word 'Aircraft' has been marked through and the word 'Kit' entered.

I think it would be hard to argue that I "fabricated" more than 50% of the parts. I will have done more than 51% of the work but not parts fabrication. Maybe by the time I make all the ribs and stuff I dont have I might be close. But then there are parts we got from EDI and others, like Grove, LP areo and such.

Any thoughts?
Joe Chisolm
Express CT builder
Marble Falls, Texas
Johnwell

Re: Registration and bill of sale

Post by Johnwell »

Personally, I asked for a bill of sale when I purchased the kit/project from a private person. There is no reasonable way to get an 'initial/original' bill of sale from a company that doesn't exist anymore. I believe the FAA is aware of this problem, if it is a problem to begin with. I consider the completion dates and accompanying initial of the person who performed that task per manual says enough. Other than that I see no option without getting really "creative" and make something up, which the FAA most likely doesn't prefer... :)
For this reason only I asked for a bill of sale for the kit and would not know what else to do. At least it shows I obtained the kit legally....I think... :)
If that doesn't work for the FAA, I guess I'd keep my fingers crossed they don't check me and find a reg# from a scrapyard.. :mrgreen:
jchisolm

Post by jchisolm »

EAA had their trailer at south by southwest this weekend in Austin. I asked them and they did not know the answer but said they would find out and get back to me. Asking for a bill of sale on a bunch of kit parts is beyond me and makes no sense. I think someone in a cube in OK city needed to justify their job so they made up another regulation. Oh what I would give to be able to do a performance review on a bunch of these people.
Joe Chisolm
Express CT builder
Marble Falls, Texas
kevin
Site Admin

Post by kevin »

You can apply for registration and check the block "built from plans and parts" and it will go through fine.