Rib J

Description of your first forum.
Johnwell

Rib J

Post by Johnwell »

Still wondering, after reading manual, why I can't place Rib J BEFORE wing close out.... My thinking is a much better (open) access to Rib R and Rib J for laminating it up. I have the 'new' bracket style and steel landing gear. Anybody did this in this order or am I overlooking an important procedure that can't be done if Rib J is already in place when I close out the wing?

Thanks,
John
jchisolm

Re: Rib J

Post by jchisolm »

I've been researching this also. Having done the install after the wing was closed was a real pain. I dont see why we cannot re-arrange the layup schedule so you put in the outboard layups of the aft shear web and rib R with a false skin. Then you can do the inboard side and finally put in the gear. It just means you have to combine the Rib J install and the aft shear web attach plates procedure into one with careful planning on the layup schedule.

I'm in the process of re-writing how I'm going to do those layups so I dont have to try and combine the steps "on the fly". It will be several weeks before I have time to get it done.
Joe Chisolm
Express CT builder
Marble Falls, Texas
Johnwell

Post by Johnwell »

I am approaching that step now and will start on Rib R first with layups and the 'false' skin and then onto Rib J in a similar fashion, then Rib I.
I asked several people and all agree that, especially Rib R is so much easier to re-enforce while the wing is open instead of doing this through access holes. Absolute worst case scenario would be removing J or I in case I overlooked something dramatic. Other than mounting gear and flap brackets I can't see any obstacles....so far :mrgreen:
pilotniner4

Post by pilotniner4 »

What was the verdict? Did anyone have success with this procedure change? I am approaching wing closure and I like the idea of getting Rib J in there first.
jchisolm

Post by jchisolm »

If you still have not closed your wing I would ask if you could check your spar for me. When sitting in the saddles is the spar cap level fore/aft from end to end? I thought it should be, level the length and also fore/aft. My outboard saddles seem a little off. If I level the bottom of the saddle and weight down the wing I'm about 3 deg off level fore/aft at the outboard end with the inboard level fore/aft and the spar level along the length.
I can adjust the saddles a little and get the length and fore/aft all level.

The spar center line is correct with chalk mark on the floor
Joe Chisolm
Express CT builder
Marble Falls, Texas
pilotniner4

Post by pilotniner4 »

jchisolm wrote:If you still have not closed your wing I would ask if you could check your spar for me. When sitting in the saddles is the spar cap level fore/aft from end to end? I thought it should be, level the length and also fore/aft. My outboard saddles seem a little off. If I level the bottom of the saddle and weight down the wing I'm about 3 deg off level fore/aft at the outboard end with the inboard level fore/aft and the spar level along the length.
I can adjust the saddles a little and get the length and fore/aft all level.

The spar center line is correct with chalk mark on the floor
I checked mine with an electronic level and I found .03 degree difference from end to end. Also checked side to side, it was level.
jchisolm

Post by jchisolm »

Thanks for checking. Appreciate it
Joe Chisolm
Express CT builder
Marble Falls, Texas