Wheeler 2.0

Description of your first forum.
kevin
Site Admin

Wheeler 2.0

Post by kevin »

After several hours of flying, I made the following mods to my Wheeler CT-

Incorporated a trim tab on the right aileron- 12 inches long and 1.5 inches wide. When I had full fuel tanks it only took about 15 mins of flying to get a wing heavy and take some effort to hand fly the plane.

(2) I extended the trim tab on the elevator all the way to the inside edge. Makes a lot of difference.
kevin
Site Admin

Re: Wheeler 2.0

Post by kevin »

After a couple of hours of flying with the new mods, I have to report that these improvements are well worth the effort. The elevator trim has much more authority with much less trim deflection. Previously with just me flying, the CG was far enough forward to need a lot of trim for level flight and actually not enough to relieve all of the pressure on approach.

The aileron trim works well, and is enough to balance the aircraft aileron forces as you burn off fuel from each wing.

All in all, well worth the work.

Now to move the battery to behind the baggage bulkhead to help with the elevator pressures when flying single pilot.
Johnwell

Post by Johnwell »

Hi Kevin,
thank you very much for this tip.
I will certainly apply this to my build too and taking valuable notes here!

Thanks,
John
LarryK

Post by LarryK »

Kevin, I am having that dilemma about adding something to the aileron, or I was more recently planning on using/adding a Dynon autopilot actuator for the trim, they have a wings level feature, but if that doesn't solve the issue do you have picture of how you made yours ? Which side or both sides? did you use a Ray Allen trim servo? Do you have a Rudder trim on yours?