Express-builder forum

Description of your first forum.
kevin
Site Admin

Express-builder forum

Post by kevin »

I inherited this forum as an old discus forum, and due to the lack of support for the old discus software, couldn't get it to work with the new OS on the webserver. So, I have installed this forum, and will be converting the old version and info to the new one as an archive as soon as I get my Wheeler flying- hopefully in a couple of weeks. Let any of your fellow Wheeler guys know that the new forum is up and have them log in and register!

Kevin Alderman- Wheeler SN 16, flying # 3 being restored, and a 1999 kit being completed- both CTs
gregman

Re: Express-builder forum

Post by gregman »

G'day gents.....
I am new to this forum & would like to introduce myself. My name is Greg Manzie & I live in Brisbane, Australia at an aptly named place called Kangaroo Point. Sorry not too many kangaroos here anymore...

I have owned a 1988 Mooney M20J for 10 years & have so far logged about 1200 hrs in VH-MKP. Over the years i have upgraded what original was a neglected bird. After engine/prop OH, paint, interior & 2 avionics upgrades it is pretty schmick!

Having retired a little over 12 months ago i am looking for my next challenge. Why not build an aeroplane me thinks!!??
My original thought was an RV10. I still want IFR capable, 4 seats & reasonable speed. I flight plan my IO360 Mooney at 155kts. Range is also very important in Oz due to distances between bowsers.

In my searches i have come across the Express kit sold by Composite Aircraft Technologies. I will be visiting the US in a few months for the EAA & i am hoping to visit CAT in Toledo WA on my way home.

I am interested in finding out as much as i can about the express - building, flying, factory support etc.

All input welcome.

Cheers
Greg Manzie
Mooney 205
VH-MKP
YBCG
kevin
Site Admin

Post by kevin »

I have 2 CTs, the first one should fly this week again, and the other later this year. Lets start with the first one, SN 16 bought in 1990. This was the 3rd flying Wheeler. I bought it last year from the original builder with around 2500 total airframe hours, and about 615 on the engine. I have flown them, and I really like then plane. It is almost 45 inches wide inside, and has a very large inside cockpit compared to the mooney. I have the CT version with upgraded landing gear that gives a max gross weight of 3350 lbs. I will weigh the plane after a total upgrade, but I expect it to weigh around 1950 empty. This model holds around 100 gals of gas and with the IO360 200 hp she cruises at 150 knots on just over 8 gph. If you pull her back to economy cruise, she has almost a 1500 mile range.

Some builders install an IO540 with 300 hp. While this gives much improved performance, her fuel burn goes up by around 50%. Correspondingly, her cruise goes up to around 190 knots.

So, if you have any more questions, shoot em at me and I will see what I can do.

My business website is www.aas-inc.us. My latest one is on the first page in the top left.

Kevin Alderman
kevin
Site Admin

Post by kevin »

Also, there are partially built kits that are around for much less than a new kit, although the new kits have some improvements. There is a guy in Nevada that had one a few months back about 65% complete, and it had the engine and prop for around 35k. I can look up his info if you would like it.
kevin
Site Admin

Post by kevin »

One more thing,

The one that I will have flying will be completed next week. It has an IO360 200hp with appx 615 hours, constant speed Hartzell prop, GRT Horizon EFIS, KX135 GPS/com, Narco 12D nav/com and transponder. It also has a 2 axis autopilot. She has epoxy coated wet wings and holds a total of 98 gals of fuel. Her airframe has a total of appx 2500 hours but a recent (last few years) engine/prop replacement. I will sell her flying when I get her finished if you are interested in flying one instead of building :lol:
gregman

Post by gregman »

Thanks Kevin.

I am probably more interested in building one but would be interested in more info on the Nevada aircraft. However one of my concerns is that there are builders & there are builders.....???!! :o

With my Mooney experience i was leaning towards the IO540 RG model. From the info supplied by CAT i love the speed & greater range. Do you have much experience with the RG or know somebody who has?

Are there many SB's issued for this breed?

I notice you are involved in ferrying & containering aircraft for export. What do you think would be the most cost effective way to get an Express to Australia if it was complete?

Do you know if anybody has fitted a BRS system to an Express?

Are you going to Airventure this year?

Sorry about the barrage of questions..... It reminds me off where i was 10 years ago when investigating buying a Mooney.
Now i am the one answering newbies' questions re the Mooney.

Cheers
Greg
kevin
Site Admin

Post by kevin »

As far as I know, I havent seen or heard of any BRS being fitted to a Wheeler. The RG version is an add that the factory- www.compairtechllc.com has available, however I hear that it is an expensive option.
While there are several aircraft flying with the 6cyl engine, this plane was designed for the 360. Because of the weight of the engine, the installation requires some changes to get the CG right. Things like moving the battery way aft, adding weight to the rear baggage area, etc. all of which take away from the useful load. Just something to think about.

As far as service bulletins, not really any out there. Since I own 2 from different time periods, I have researched the changes as time progressed. There were slight changes like reducing rudder throw from 25 to 20 degrees, adding an additional bulkhead, etc. but nothing major. The biggest change was to go from a Cruciform tail back to a "standard" configuration. This was for 2 main reasons- first the CT tail is a tad bit small. It is fully functional and no issues normally, but for slow flight it could be a bit bigger. 2, in its location it can be partially blanked out at really nose high attitudes by the wings resulting in a quick nose down movement to get itself flying again unless you ended up with an aft CG. The reason for the reduction from 25 to 20 degrees travel on the rudder was because at slower speeds and full rudder deflection part of the HStab tended to be blanked out and stall. The moral to the story is simple, keep 70 until the flare and you are on the ground. While she will stall at as low as mid 50s, unless you are landing in a back yard keep the speed up.

The positives are that they are designed for in excess of 8 gs+, the landing gear are spaced far enough apart that a student could land it in a crosswind easily, the construction is relatively simple, and repairs are not too difficult. The windscreen and windows are available from the factory or from Aeroplastics and are reasonable, Grove supplies landing gear parts, and other parts are not difficult to manufacture if you cant get them elsewhere.

As far as shipping, if it is a kit it will be in a box(s), if it has been started, the wings come off with 4 pins and 2 AN4 bolts, takes about 30 mins a side new, a couple of hours if it has been flown because the pins "seat" and get stuck which is a good thing. Really want those things to stay in there. The whole thing will fit snugly in a 20' box if the tail isnt on it. It will take a 40 if the tail is on it because the fuse will have to be tilted at about a 45 degree angle and the wings and other parts placed behind it. And, you read right, I have packed and shipped planes to Brazil, Africa, and other places mostly Cessnas. If you find one you like I can get it to you.

The phone number for the one in Arizona is 520-488-6132, I think his name is Frank. I have talked to him several times. If you want me to call him let me know.

How do you guys say it, Cheers!
frankk

Post by frankk »

Greg, I have an Express (N411KF) with an O-540 and I did move the battery to behind the baggage compartment and added about 30 pounds to the tail. It has been flying since 2005. I will be at Oshkosh this year, parked and camping in the "North 40". If you would like to stop by and see my Express and chat let me know. I do serve beer at out campsite!!!

Regards,

Kevin F

*** Trial period expired. Please subscribe to the service. Antispam service cleantalk.org. ***
gregman

Post by gregman »

Kevin
I will take you up on the offer to catch up. Would love to have a look at your aircraft - and a beer sounds great!

I arrive on the Sunday night. If you can let me know your mobile number I can give you a ring. I will buy a US sim when I arrive so no number yet.

Cheers
Greg
kevin
Site Admin

Post by kevin »

My mobile is 239-896-7576
My plane is at KCRG, Jacksonville Executive Airport Jacksonville FL.

http://www.express-builder.com/images/Rt-Sd-Hngr.jpg

Call me when you get here, hopefully I get the FAA paperwork this week in my hands and get to fly her again!